Thursday 5 December 2019

Conscious Christmas Shopping

So sale season is here and discounts, bargains, and consumerism is in full force. Offers pulling you in with promises of 'Must Have' items as fabulous prices that you would be mad to miss. Things that you probably wouldn't even look at if there wasn't that ever so enticing 20% off tag attached. The temptation is real right now, so, how do you actually navigate the festive period without buying everything in sight?

As a somewhat reformed shopoholic, I am going to share my top tips!

Did you want it at full price?

It's a simple question to start with, did you actually like or even want it whilst it was full price? If you did, then that is brilliant because who doesn't love saving a bit of money on something they really want, but unfortunately in these situations, it is more often the case that you are more excited about the discount than the item. I don't know how many times I have bought something a bit odd, not quite me, and often a little strange, for the simple reason that it was on sale or offer. Don't get me wrong, sometimes something being on offer is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and try something new, but I think it is mostly just being a bit more conscious of your purchase and just taking that moment to acknowledge the reason that you are buying it.


Seven Day Rule

Are you going to wear it in the next seven days? More often than not, if you buy something new which you really love, you will end up wearing it within seven days of purchase with the caveat of it being bought it for a specific event.
So, next time you buy something, remember to check a week later to see if you have actually worn it or if it is still sitting in the bag looking quite sad.

Could you find it on Depop/Ebay?

I've recently taken to doing this! Whenever I see something in store that I really want, I have a quick search on Depop and Ebay to see if I can get it second hand. This trick obviously doesn't work every time, and especially with new in or super popular items, but sometimes you can find yourself an amazing bargain whilst shopping sustainably, and helping out someone else who may need a bit of cash! Plus, who knows, you may even find it new with tags!

Do you really need it?

This is the big question. We can all be creatures of habit, buying the same thing when we already have several identical items in our wardrobe. I know that I'm guilty of this, particularly in regards to mid wash blue jeans... but sometimes all it takes is a few seconds to consider whether we really need to buy it, and whether it is the discount that you are more excited about! Apply the same 'Do I need it' mentality to sale items as you would with full price!

So I hope that these tips have been helpful and I would love to hear if you have any tips for navigating the festive season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Corona and Toxic Productivity

I promised myself that I wasn't going to write about corona, because that really isn't what this blog is about, but with something t...