Saturday 28 December 2019

Outfit Repeater


Is there really anything worse than being an outfit repeater? Turning up at a party in a dress that you wore, dare I say it, to another party?
Well, yes, there obviously is. But it is hard to remember this sometimes when we live in such a throw away culture, with social media making it a sin to wear the same outfit twice, and brands constantly encouraging and tempting us to buy something new. I know that I have felt this way so many times before, second guessing what I was wearing to a party or an event simply because I knew that I had been seen in that outfit before, and I'm gong to be honest, more often than not I would give into this thought and make the order...
Fast fashion brands like Boohoo, Missguided, and Pretty Little Thing, make this all the more simple a trap to fall into with their ridiculously cheap clothes. It really is so easy to do, falling into the cycle of ordering something new, having it delivered straight to your door, ready for the party, for it to ultimately meet the same fate as the outfits which have gone before them, to live in the back of your wardrobe, never to be worn again...
Like I said, I have done this about a million times before, because it has become the norm, to do so, and I have never really second guessed this process before, but now, after doing this for several years, I've now been left with a wardrobe of clothes and I'm now in the process of trying to sell all of these sadly unloved, and once worn outfits, hopefully giving them a new lease of life!

Whilst I am currently trying to embrace my new life as an outfit repeater, I do sometimes find myself feeling a bit self conscious about it, worrying -irrationally- that people are judging me, for wearing something twice in one week. What I am wearing is clean, fresh, and in good condition so that isn't the issue, so what is? What is so wrong with wearing an outfit which you love and makes you feel good about yourself? Radiating confidence for all to see. And ultimately what I am trying to get at is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and most likely nobody else really cares that you have worn the same outfit twice in one week, or that you decided to make that pink dress your go to party look!

So what I'm trying to say, in so many words, is don that outfit you wore only the other day because you felt great in it, and wear it with pride, as you adopt the title of 'Outfit Repeater'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Corona and Toxic Productivity

I promised myself that I wasn't going to write about corona, because that really isn't what this blog is about, but with something t...