Wednesday 28 August 2019

Nothing New Here

So, in keeping with my feelings surrounding sustainability and my consumption of fashion, I have decided to challenge myself to a month of no new clothes. This is an easy task in theory, just simply don't buy anything, but in the modern world with the bombardment of fashion content that we are faced with, may it be on television, Instagram, Youtube, and everything else, it can be bloody difficult! Everyone around you is telling you that you need to buy this item in order for your life to be complete, or by buying this dress you will officially be 'cool', or at least for a month until the next must have item comes out.
Nobody wants to feel left out or like they aren't part of something. This can be how you are made to feel when you aren't buying into a trend when everyone else is. It is a silly feeling, I know to feel left out over a piece of clothing but it is a genuine feeling to have and it ultimately is the goal of this marketing, so I suppose a congratulations is in order for these companies?

This constant cycle of fashion is almost impossible to keep up with, yet we all find ourselves desperate to try. So during the month of September, I am refusing to buy anything new. I was initially going to set myself a blanket ban of buying absolutely nothing, but I don't want this experience to be a punishment, I want it to be more of a new approach to shopping and fashion, something with is truly sustainable in every sense of the word, and not going to result in me binge buying once the month is over because I'm 'allowed' to now. That isn't going to sort the problem, and it realistically isn't going to make me happy. Instead I have decided to approach this as me no longer buying anything new, so instead if I do have a genuine need for something, for example a jumper I will look to vintage stores, second hand stores, and things like that, rather than instantly going out and buying something without a moments thought.



I just wanted to get this out there and try to present this idea of no new buying as an attitude change rather than a miserable month which you end up counting down the days until it is over!

My plan is to check back in at the end of the month and let you know how I found it, what I found difficult and what I found to be easy! Who knows, I may have absolutely nothing to report and it may just be another normal month but we shall see! I may even find another pair of perfect vintage Levi's like I am wearing here, proving that vintage can be just as good, if not better than buying something brand new! It may just take a bit of hard work to find it.

Thanks for reading and I would love to know if anyone else is considering doing this or joining my nothing new month!


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I’m doing a £30 a week spending challenge in September so this should be interesting ����

    ReplyDelete

Corona and Toxic Productivity

I promised myself that I wasn't going to write about corona, because that really isn't what this blog is about, but with something t...