Friday 26 May 2017

Asda Vegan 'Chicken' Popcorn

I used to absolutely adore chicken popcorns. The spicy, crispy, crunchy coating, with the soft filling. Doesn't sound quite as nice when I think about what was actually in the filling now... 
But my woes have been answered by the fantastic product team at Asda! They have done the impossible and created vegan popcorn 'chicken'. I was as stunned as you are, my dear readers, when I came across this on the vegan chat forums (I assure you that this isn't as weird or as boring as it sounds!). Instantly my attention was captured, and I knew that I needed to try them. So, I ventured out to Asda, a woman on a mission, determined to find these almost unreal promise of vegan chicken popcorns! 



I quickly located them in the frozen section and grabbed three bags, praying they would indeed be delicious and I wouldn't be left with three bags of deeply unpleasant faux chicken balls... 
So I opened the bag as soon as I got home and popped them chickens in the oven (I'm extremely talented in regards to puns). And let the cook. They took only about twenty minutes, and the smell was rather enticing. They were good sized balls, with a good crispy coating that was even and didn't crumble or fall off. They cooked evenly which was good, so I didn't end up with half of them burnt. I took the plunge, and took a bite. I was not disappointed! The flavour was fantastic, it was quite convincing in regards to the chicken flavour, with a nice southern fried spice. It had enough of a kick to provide intrigue, without being unenjoyable spicy. The heat was perfect and I couldn't help but enjoy every mouthful! The texture was good and once again, was somewhat unnervingly reminiscent of actual chicken popcorns, after munching the first one though, I wasn't that bothered because the taste was just brilliant.





They do not remind me exactly of eating, let's say, KFC, but I honestly don't think that is a bad thing. My brother and mother both tried them, and gave them a massive thumbs up, saying that they were actually better than the meat version! High praise indeed I would say. Basically, vegan, vegetarian, or meat eater, I would certainly recommend these! I cannot wait to see what other delicious thins that Asda, and other supermarkets bring out for the summer! 

Rating - 9/10 

Vegan - Yes 

Calories - 188 per Third a Bag

Buy Again - Much Man

No comments:

Post a Comment

Corona and Toxic Productivity

I promised myself that I wasn't going to write about corona, because that really isn't what this blog is about, but with something t...